Each of you has been assigned a polis of your own. Throughout the remainder of the second quarter, you will embark upon your own research and attempt to come to a greater understanding of your polis within the historical context of the the ancient world. This is something you may wish to do during study hall.
Wikipedia is a good place to start, but may not give you enough information. You may need to consult a Classical Dictionary. The library is a good place to look after you have exhausted the Wiki site. There is a reserve section for my class with the following available:
- Oxford Classical Dictionary – 2 copies
- Oxford History of the Classical World – 2 copies
- Old World Civilizations
- The Ancient City (Athens/Rome)
- Time-Frame 600-400 BC (Time-Life Series)
- COSMOGENY: WHAT IS YOUR FOUNDING STORY? Please research the origins of your polis. Who are you? Where are you located? Why are you there? When does your post-Dark Age history begin? What founding myths and stories define you or relate specifically to your city? [It’s easy to get caught up in good research and go beyond the parameters of the inquiry. For our purposes please restrict your research to the era c.900-500 BC.]